The concept of people aging in their own homes or in a retirement community is known as “age in place.” Remaining independent is often taken for granted until we begin our journey into old age. With the right help, aging in place supports healthy aging and allows you to remain in control.
Many reasons exist why people prefer to age in place. We give you five reasons to consider.
1) The costs of nursing home care are increasing. Remaining in your home as you age could save you up to $206 a day or $75,190 annually.
2) You’ll retain control of everyday life and are not subject to the rules and regulations of any facility.
3) “I’ve lived here 40 years. No other place will seem like home.”
This is a common feeling among older adults. Being comfortable is so important to your well-being and state of mind. If you’re comfortable, you’ll be more likely to stay active in your community.
4) Have the freedom to choose. For example, aging in place will allow you to choose the doctor you want and choose the nurse or home aide that works for you.
5) You can get almost any type of help you want in your home. The most common items like personal care, meals, aging technology, money management, and safety are available for older adults who remain at home.
What are your reasons for aging in place? Add to our list by leaving us a comment!
When you partner with Marca™ Life Planning, you have access to our coordinated set of age in place services to support better living. Age in Place optimizes personal health and wellness, promotes safety and security, incorporates universal design principles, and integrates assistive technologies into your home.